Thursday, September 2, 2010

Splice (2009)

Thank God it's THURSDAY! :D No more school for the week, and it's a long weekend! Happy early Labor Day ;)  I really need this long weekend, I had such a busy week. Wednesday I had two labs, and in my anatomy lab we got to work with a cadaver ( I was so nervous and scared, but most of it was covered), so while it was an interesting day it was a long day nevertheless . This long weekend my friends and I are celebrating a birthday , so I'm definitely looking forward to that.









So this post will be about the movie titled Splice, which I saw recently with my boyfriend. The movie was released in the US in 2010 and was filmed in Canada. Here is the trailer!



Now.. I have to say the trailer did not prepare me for how weird and often disturbing this movie was. Aside from that, the movie was definitely interesting and thought provoking. This is a sci-fi horror, and the main idea is these two scientist ( a couple) ( Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley) who work in a laboratory splicing DNA from different animals to created hybrids. The main purpose of creating the hybrids is to extract proteins of out them to be used in medicine. Everything is all right with their work until they get too ambitious. They want to make a hybrid with human DNA, as they believe it is the next step in creating medicine, but of course the company funding the research gives them a bit fat no. So what do they do? They do it behind their backs of course.

Here we see a clip of when Dren the human hybrid is born.:


     As we see in the trailer, this experiment gives birth to a hybrid human (Dren) with characteristics of other animals. I will not go further into the movie as I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say that up this point in the movie it's very interesting. Genetics is very interesting and this movie is almost foreshadowing what may be in store for us in the future of science. To me personally, the movie starts getting bizarre in the end. Warning: the movie was strong sexuality and of course there is the whole hybrid business which might make some people uncomfortable. If neither of those things bother you, then you might enjoy the movie as it is very unique. So I can say I enjoyed the movie, it was only the last 30 minutes or so that I found very weird,  and if you see the movie you will know what I mean by that.

Splicing: For those that don't know what splicing is , I read into it a bit to be able to explain it. To simplify it, DNA is "cut" with a restriction enzyme ( the "scissors") , these restriction enzymes will recognize a specific DNA sequence and "cut" it out leaving a space in which scientists can add any sequence they wish and with a ligase enzyme it's all put together. ( Here is a good website if you want to read more on it: http://library.thinkquest.org/19037/therapy2.html)

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi but this was interesting. I also think Adrien Brody is a great actor, even though after The Pianist ( great movie!) he has chosen some strange roles. I recommend it to people who don't mind being shocked by a movie, and definitely not for children. It is rated R, so17 and up.

 I hope you all enjoyed and of course let me know what you thought of the movie if you saw it, or if your not interested why is that?


Bye for now :)

Mabel

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this movie!

    Very interesting to hear your thoughts on it

    I agree about the trailer not preparing you for some scenes in the movie, I was def surprised by that! However, the theme of the movie intrigued me. It had me watching until the end.

    Overall I enjoyed the movie, except from those scenes ;p

    Post more soon

    ReplyDelete